3 Hole Design Challenge
Think golf course design is easy? Now here’s your chance to prove it!
With no European Tour tournaments taking place at this time as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, why not take out those golf frustrations by designing some holes in our 3 Hole Design Competition, sponsored by European Tour Destinations.
The Site – This is a real site and forms part of an 18 hole European Golf Design project, however the Clubhouse location given is fictitious.
1. There are approximately 12 hectares (30 acres) of ‘usable’ space.
2. The site is generally undulating, with some steeper slopes and softer valleys, and you are to assume that it also free draining. The survey shows contours in one metre intervals.
3. It has numerous mature trees which need to be retained; these are shown in green on the plan.
1. Design three strategic and creative golf holes, where the total par for these three holes must be 11 or more. The holes can be of whatever length you like.
2. You are to use any ONE of the three green locations labelled A / B / C , as ‘your’ 15th green. The challenge is to design your ‘final three hole stretch’, with the 18th green to be located in front of a clubhouse located on the eastern side of the site. The three holes should present an exciting and dramatic conclusion to a tournament course, but remember, while the holes will need to challenge the best players they should also be playable for the average golfer.
3. Design plans can be submitted as either computer drawn or freehand, and you can show as much detail as you would like.
All entries are to be submitted by email in either pdf or jpeg format.
Entries are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for entries is 1700 BST on Monday 18 May.
Entries will be judged by European Golf Design, the Design Company of The European Tour and IMG.
A winner will be announced across European Tour social media platforms.
The winner will receive a four-ball tee time of his or her choice at any European Tour Destination venue.