Portmarnock Hotel and Golf LinksBernhard Langer / Design Solutions / Europe / Ireland / Signature Design
- Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links has become one of Ireland’s most popular year round destinations for links golf.
- The success of the development is built on the quality of the pure golf experience which has been created and, despite its youth, Portmarnock Links is now consistently rated as one of the best links course in Ireland.
- The course opened for play in 1995 and has hosted several top class amateur and professional events including the 2008 & 2009 Ladies Irish Open. It is ranked in the top 100 Courses in the UK and Ireland.
- Design an 18 hole golf course in collaboration with Bernhard Langer as part of a new hotel development overlooking the Irish Sea to the north of Dublin, Ireland.
- The property was the former estate of John Jameson, of Jameson Whiskey fame, part of which had once included the Jameson family’s own private golf course. Developed in 1858 the course was one of the earliest in Ireland.
- The site included both coastal dune land and also a large area of flat pasture, grazed by cattle.
- While that part of the site closest to the sea was typically links like in nature, much of the property was fairly flat and uninteresting. By careful soil management and imaginative shaping we were able to combine two different landscape characters to create a harmonious golf course in the true tradition of links golf, with deep revetted bunkers, rumpled fairways, and fast, firm greens.
- Above all, as the golf course winds its way through the natural and man-made dunes, it gives the impression that it has been there for centuries.
- Designed in association with: Bernhard Langer
- Client: Portmarnock Hotel
- Course: 18 Holes
- Length: 6422 metres, Par: 71
PORTMARNOCK HOTEL & GOLF LINKS
Co. Dublin, Ireland
T: +353 1 846 0611
F: +353 1 846 2422